What Can You Do If Your Tooth Filling Falls Out?


You receive a filling when you have a cavity. A filling’s lifespan is influenced by maintenance and normal wear and tear. Fillings eventually need to be changed. They separate from time to time. If that occurs to you, here’s what you should know. One type of restorative dental care is the placement of a dental filling to fix small cracks or tooth decay.

A dental filling can aid in smoothing the tooth’s surface and enhancing the jaw’s ability to function during biting and chewing. In addition to experiencing tooth sensitivity from enamel erosion, many patients with cavities can also greatly benefit from dental filling placement. Speak to a dentist today if you think you have a dental emergency in Parkland, FL.

What should you do if your tooth filling falls out?

Informing your dentist’s office of the loss of a filling should be your first course of action. You should be able to make it in that day if it’s a weekday because most offices have designated emergency times. Contact the weekend emergency number or leave a message if your filling falls out during the weekend.

What can you expect at your dental appointment?

Your dentist will inspect and examine your tooth to decide on your best course of action. These are three options that they could think about:

  • You may get a new filling.

You might receive a second filling if your dentist believes that your tooth can be fixed. Different kinds of filings exist. You may be able to choose between an amalgam filling or a composite and glass ionomer substance, depending on whether it is a molar or a premolar. Composite and glass ionomer fillings are the most aesthetically pleasing options for front teeth (incisor or canine). Your dentist may choose to use amalgam fillings because they are stronger and have a longer lifespan because your back teeth receive the most wear and tear from chewing. It should be noted that many dentists let their patients decide because many fillings are very noticeable.

  • You might require a root canal, crown, or cap.

In the case of a severe cavity or exposure of the tooth’s nerve, your dentist will recommend a root canal and crown specialist.

  • You may need a tooth extraction.

Rarely, a tooth fracture or filling loss may be so severe that extraction is the only course of action. In this case, your oral surgeon and dentist will present a treatment plan involving the replacement of your tooth with a dental implant or a fixed or removable bridge.