Fatahillah Museum is located in the old part of the city known as Jakarta Kota, few hundred meters behind Sunda Kelapa’s port and warehouses. Formerly known as the Stadhuis, this construction was the headquarters of the Dutch East India Company, and later of the Dutch Government.
Constructed in 1710 by Governor General Van Riebeeck, this proper construction hides dungeons and filthy water prisons. Now, this museum displays the history of Jakarta from ancient days to the founding of the town of Jayakarta. The collection has a replica of this Tugu Inscription that dates back to the 5th century under the reign of this great King Purnawarman. The signs that the middle of the Tarumanegara kingdom was located around today’s seaport of Tanjung Priok. The collection reflects the influences of various cultural elements on the Town of Batavia, notably from Europe, particularly from the Netherlands, from China and India as well as from Indonesia itself.
To bring more life and actions Into the Old Batavia square, today the Jakarta Government has arranged regular attractions between local communities and their cultures. On Sundays, shows are played presenting the Zapin dancing, a combo of Betawi and Middle Eastern cultures, the Barongsai Chinese lion dance, the Portuguese influenced keroncong music, the most typical Betawi Tanjidor music, batik fashion shows, classic cars parades, food and memorabilia, and fireworks.
To reach there, you can use the TransJakarta bus going to Kota from Blok-M (Corridor 1). Stop at the last terminal, Kota. It’ll be a couple of blocks away to the museum.
The address of the museum is:
Jakarta History Museum
Jalan Taman Fatahillah No 1 West Jakarta
Phone: (62 21) 692-9101/690-1483
Fax. (62 21) 690-2387